Ceramic Materials 2021: What ALL Restorative Dentists NEED to Know with Dr. Mark Pitel (Zoom Webinar)
February 20, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Presenter: Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Associate Clinical Professor of Operative Dentistry at the Columbia University College
of Dental Medicine and Director of Predoctoral and CDE Esthetics
February 20th, 2021
Time: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Location: Zoom Webinar
CE Credits: 3
AGD Code: 250
Subject: Restorative, Cosmetic Dentistry
For most of the 20th century, dental porcelain reigned as the gold standard for indirect esthetic restorations. Since 1989 there has been a steady stream of exciting new ceramic materials and new techniques for producing dental restorations.
Keeping up with the new materials and how to best utilize them clinically has become a real challenge for the dentist and the laboratory technician. Glass ceramics like lithium disilicate offer maximum esthetics with excellent functional performance while CAD produced high strength oxide ceramics like zirconia are capable of providing metal like strengths with the beauty of an all ceramic restoration.
But with all new materials and techniques, there are always questions and special considerations. Which material is best for each clinical application? Should I bond or can I cement? What is the best cement to use? Are there any special handling or preparations that should be used with each material? This presentation will cover the important details and try to answer all your questions about the new ceramics. Here are some of questions that this presentation will go over:
- Which is more esthetic– Lithium disilicate or translucent zirconia?
- Which ceramic wears the best and which one is the least abrasive to opposing teeth and restorations?
- What do you lose or gain by prescribing translucent zirconia vs. full strength?
- What is 3Y-TZP and how is it different from 4Y-TZP and 5Y-TZP?
- What in the world is zirconia reinforced lithium silicate (ZLS) and how does it compare with lithium disilicate and zirconia
- What are the “hybrid” ceramics and how do they compare with traditional ceramics?
- How do you properly clean your restorations after a clinical try-in and contamination by saliva or blood?
- Why do my zirconia crowns keep falling off? Preparation guidelines that must be addressed.
- Can you really bond zirconia? Yes you can. This course will show you how to do it correctly.
- Can zirconia really replace porcelain fused to metal? Yes it can. This course will prove it to you.
- What is transformation toughening and why is it important to you?
- When is it OK to cement eMax and other lithium disilicate restorations?
- Where and when can you use all-ceramic bridges and are there special concerns for multiunit cases?
- Is monolythic zirconia esthetic enough for anterior cases or should it be restricted to the posterior?
- How can you achieve maximum esthetics with zirconia restorations?
- Can you light cure through zirconia restorations?
Have a question that you want answers for? Feel free to bring your questions to us!
We encourage you to ask questions so that we can provide you with the upmost expertise answers and learning opportunities to take away from.
About the Speaker
Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Dr. Mark Pitel is currently an Associate Clinical Professor of Operative Dentistry at the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and Director of Predoctoral and CDE Esthetics. He also maintains a private practice in Poughkeepsie, New York. A 3rd generation dentist, he has over 33 years experience owning and operating private general practices with an “emphasis on Cosmetic, Restorative and Implant Dentistry” in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and California and New York.
A past president of the New Jersey Academy of General Dentistry, Dr. Pitel is an active member of numerous other dental organizations such as the International Association for Dental Research, the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. He has received his fellowship from the American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry and the International Academy of Dentofacial Esthetics, holds Level II certification from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and has been recognized by Who's Who in Dentistry.
Dr. Pitel is an internationally recognized expert and lecturer on topics such as adhesive dentistry, anterior and posterior esthetic restorations and cosmetic and laser dentistry. He has authored numerous scientific papers and articles of interest to patients and is the author of a textbook on dental impression taking. A former editor of the NJ AGD Journal, he has received several awards for journalism in dentistry.
"The course was well organized by NJHPD and was highly informative and presented very professionally."
-Dr. Robert Romeo, Erie, PA
"Amazing presentation by Dr. Pitel! I learned valuable information to get the best esthetic results by using step by step technique."
-Ms. Lilit Stepanyan, Clifton, NJ
"The best direct composite course I have taken in years. Dr. Pitel has an amazing command of the subject."
-Dr. Tony Corello, Westfield, NJ
"Dr. Pitel and NJHPDI staff are amazingly courteous and helpful."
-Dr. Xiang Wang, Elmhurst, NY
"Great materials to stay up to date with restorative techniques and materials."
-Dr. Arnulfo Herrera, Uniondale, NY
"This course was informative, concise and relevant to every-day practice. Dr. Pitel was able to present the material in an easily understandable format. The course also covered data and studies on more recent developments in zirconia materials. Very thorough and excellent instruction."
Dr. Maedot Semo, Swedesboro, NJ
"NJHPDI is excellent! I've taken many CE's here. Dr. Pitel is very knowledgeable in his field - great speaker!"
-Dr. Bertho Vertil, Pomona, NY