Eliminating Occlusion Confusion: Step-by-Step Systems with Dr. Joseph Gaudio (Hands-On)
Presenter: Joseph Gaudio, DDS
Date: June 16, 2023
Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 7
AGD Code: 180
*Boxed Lunch Included
This course provides a systematic approach to identifying and treatment planning the patient with obvious signs of wear and tear.
At the conclusion of this course, attendees will have the skills to be able to identify the steps involved to develop a blueprint for success in the final restorations.
- In pairs, attendees will work on Finding Centric Relation. Classic bi-manual manipulation to ‘guide’ the joints into CR is an art form that may be frustrating at first. There are different approaches to confirming CR using anything from a leaf gauge to a Lucia jig can be employed. By actually experiencing what it should feel like allows you to execute more effectively on someone else
- TMJ Orthopedic Exam. Working together, attendees will be taught to evaluate the condition of the joints. Examples of cases showing issues will be shown and evaluated to discuss treatment needs.
- Muscles. Using a guide, attendees will address muscles sequentially. They will also identify sore/tender muscles versus trigger points that may be referring to pain in other areas.
- ROM. Know when limited or abnormal range of motion signifies problems that need to be addressed first. Dr. Gaudio will demonstrate ROM and provide the steps necessary for a comprehensive exam.
- Face bow. The ability to reproduce the masticatory system three dimensionally allows us to minimize adjustments in the mouth and planning of a proper occlusal scheme. The facebow gives us a spatial orientation that allows for proper mounting of models on a semi-adjustable articulator. Attendees will work in groups using a FACEBOW.
- Bite Registration. Crucial to the facebow transfer is the bite registration that allows for reproduction of the centric relation position. Bite registrations will be captured in both impression material and a blue wax.
- The use of digital technology to verify and enhance predictability. How to confirm the most physiologic joint position and pre-prosthetic movement of teeth orthodontically can optimally "set up" a case and help to improve overall physiology and health. Digital technology includes the intraoral digital scans, orthodontic software and T-Scan to evaluate forces and dial in equilibration of the dentition. There will be a demo of the T-Scan technology.
About the Speaker
Joseph Gaudio, DDS
Joe Gaudio, DDS has been in practice for over 30 years. He graduated from Columbia University SDOS in 1984 and received the prestigious Rowe Weinberg Award for Excellence in Prosthodontics. He completed a one-year General Practice Residency program in 1985 at Englewood Hospital Association. Dr. Gaudio has been an Assistant Clinical Professor with the Prosthodontic Department at Columbia University since 1985. He is a current member in good standing of the ADA, the New Jersey Dental Association and Tri-County Dental Association. Dr. Gaudio has completed over 1,500 hours of CE, including Dawson Academy courses, the Aesthetic Advantage Program at NYU, and the Esthetic Continuum at Columbia University. He is finishing a two-year program in Orthodontics for GP’s with the IAO New England Chapter. He is also a member of the New York City Dawson Study Club. In 2014, Dr. Gaudio was appointed an attending dentist at Morristown Memorial Hospital General Dental Residency Program where he has become a member of the Orofacial Pain Committee. Dr. Gaudio is currently a Teaching Faculty Member at: Dawson Academy, St. Petersburg, FL (2019-Present)
He opened his dental practice in Chester, NJ in 1986 and feels his calling in life is to change other peoples’ lives through practicing and teaching dentistry.
"I'm so grateful to attend Dr. Gaudio's occlusion lecture. I recommend this lecture to all dentists since after that lecture I realized that a lot of complications can be solved in a simple way. Dr. Gaudio explains everything in a way that you never forget. I highly recommend this lecture"
-Mona Bazazzadeh, DDS
"Amazing speaker! If you are looking for key concepts in occlusion you need to attend Dr. Gaudio’s hands-on course, he brings all the sciences and philosophies in occlusion to make them simple and practical in a way to gain confidence identifying the steps to follow in treatment planning. I highly recommend this course to any dentist looking to understand occlusion concepts from everyday practice."
-Hayleen Moran DDS, MS
"Dr. Gaudio has obviously invested considerable time acquiring a knowledge base from the top educators in our field. He brings to the table both an educators didactic skill and a clinicians practicality. Hearing Dr. Gaudio lecture is invigorating; one leaves his lectures equipped with a host of information and a strong desire to apply that knowledge immediately in the office."
-Dr. Thomas A. Bissell D.D.S.,D.M.Sc, Board Certified in Periodontology and Dental Implant Surgery