Orofacial Pain: A Systemic Approach to Treating TMD with Dr. Joseph Gaudio (Hands-On)
November 10 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Presenter: Joseph Gaudio, DDS
Date: Friday, November 10, 2023
Time: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 8
AGD Code: 200
Subject: Orofacial Pain
Sponsored by: Fotona Laser & Vatech America
*Light Breakfast & Boxed Lunch Included
This course provides a systematic approach to treating patients that present with TMD, Head & Neck and Facial pain (Orofacial pain).
At the conclusion of this course, attendees will have the skills to be able to identify the steps involved to develop a blueprint for reducing and eliminating pain and identifying/addressing the source of the pain. An appreciation for the connection between the structural issues and the nervous system response will be made clear.
- In pairs, attendees will work on executing a TMJ orthopedic exam and assessing whether intra-capsular vs extra-capsular is the problem.
- Muscle palpitation will be executed to assess the degree of involvement as well as identifying trigger points that may be contributing to orofacial pain and how to treat these.
- ROM (Range of Motion): Know when limited range of motion signifies problems that need to be addressed first. How to identify which splint / appliance to use to recapture the disc.
- Proper wearing of appliance.
- Laser therapy vs injection therapy. How to effectively treat conservatively using advanced technology.
This course will also discuss:
- Pharmacology: what to prescribe based on acute injury vs chronic pain and how the nervous system responds to both.
- Understanding the effect of a compromised airway and fragmented sleep in chronic pain.
- Imaging: a review of CBCT and MRI to work up a case study and how to identify which adjunct professionals to work with (P/Ts, Osteopaths, OMTs, Chiropractors, etc.)
About the Speaker:
Joseph Gaudio, DDS
Dr. Gaudio has been in practice for over 30 years. He graduated from Columbia University SDOS in 1984 and received the prestigious Rowe Weinberg Award for Excellence in Prosthodontics. He completed a one-year General Practice Residency program in 1985 at Englewood Hospital Association. Dr. Gaudio has been an Assistant Clinical Professor (ACP) with the Prosthodontic Department at Columbia University from 1985 to 1990 and returned as an (ACP) with the Operative Department in 2010 through 2022 . He opened his dental practice in Chester, NJ in 1987 and feels his calling in life is to change other peoples’ lives through practicing and teaching dentistry. He is a current member in good standing of the ADA, the New Jersey Dental Association and Tri-County Dental Association. Dr. Gaudio completed over 2,000 hours of CE, including Dawson Academy Core Curriculum, the Aesthetic Advantage Program at NYU, and the Esthetic Continuum at Columbia University. He was Invisalign certified and then went on to complete a two-year program in Orthodontics for GP’s with the IAO New England Chapter. In 2014, Dr. Gaudio was appointed an attending dentist at Morristown Memorial Hospital General Dental Residency Program where he has become a member of the Orofacial Pain Committee. Dr. Gaudio is currently a Teaching Faculty Member at Dawson Academy, St. Petersburg, FL, where his focus is now on Advanced TMD and Airway and Integrative Dental Medicine alongside Dr Witt Wilkerson. He has been working with Dr Barry Raphael since January of 2021 as an associate in Integrative Orthodontics and collaborating with multidisciplinary therapists with an aim towards orthotropic and early intervention for proper growth leading to optimal structure, function and behavior. His desire is to continue life long learning and sharing with younger generations of dentists.
"Great course - tons of information. Dr. Gaudio is great!"
Dr. Manleen Kaur, Edison, NJ
"Really an excellent course!! Practical and informative."
Dr. Christabelle Alexander, Carrollton, TX
"Super good tips on diagnosing occlusal related issues and solution - case presentations were excellent."
Dr. Ashumi Dave, River Edge, NJ
Early Registration $885 Valid Thru Oct. 15, 2023