The Art & Science of the Direct Anterior and Posterior Esthetic Restorations with Dr. Mark Pitel (Hands-On)
September 24, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Restorative dentistry is no longer just about form and function and esthetic dentistry is not just limited to the anterior teeth and the smile. Harness your creative skills and learn how to use simple direct techniques to dazzle your patients utilizing the powers engineered into today’s restorative materials.
Presenter: Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Date Selection: September 24th, 2021
Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 7
AGD Code: 780
Subject: Esthetics/Cosmetic Dentistry Participation
Sponsor: GC America, DMG America, AdDent, & Bioclear
*Boxed lunch included for in-person courses
In today’s modern dental practice, excellent esthetics has become the expected outcome by an ever more educated and demanding patient.
- Esthetic dentistry is no longer limited to just the anterior teeth and the visible smile
- Restorative dentistry is no longer limited to managing dental caries and other dental diseases or misadventures
- Restorative dentistry is no longer focused just on “form and function”
- Dentists are expected to create direct esthetic restorations of lasting value and extraordinary beauty - quickly, conservatively, and economically
Though porcelain laminates and other indirect ceramic restorations have grown in popularity as the preferred method for restoring the anterior esthetic case, not every patient needs, desires or can afford them. Fortunately, a steady stream of advancements in adhesion dentistry, composite resins and even glass ionomers provide dentists and patients with excellent alternatives to bonded ceramics. Three-dimensional, multi-layered direct composite restorations can now closely rival the functionality and beauty of natural tooth structure. They offer the benefits of full artistic control for the dentist, reduced tooth preparation, the convenience of a single appointment and the economics of no laboratory charges.
This course will guide you through state-of-the-art techniques that are being used for the placement of anterior and posterior direct esthetic restorations. We'll cover the concepts and materials to help you quickly and effectively place posterior direct restorations without open contacts or post-operative sensitivity. The presenter will lead an in-depth discussion of the philosophy and methods being used for accurately selecting shades for direct and indirect restorations. This course is designed to help you harness your own creative skills and dazzle your patients while utilizing the features engineered into today’s restorative materials.
You Will Learn:
- Working with diagnostic wax-ups, mockups and clinical preparation templates
- Layered composite concepts, techniques, and strategies
- Managing enamel dysplasia - Resin infiltration (ICON) vs. enamel microabrasion which is best?
- Injection molding concepts - How they can greatly simplify and economically benefit your practice
- The “Bioclear” system and concepts – How it is changing restorative dentistry
- The direct composite veneer - a viable alternative to the porcelain veneer
- All restorative solutions for simple orthodontic cases
- Strategies for predictable shade selection and matching
- The new generations of glass ionomer materials and their uses
- How bulk filling materials and concepts may eliminate the need to layer direct posterior fillings
- Much, much, more
- Various Cosmetic procedures performed on Viade and Nissin Typodont Models
- Lingual Prep Guide preparation using VPS impression putty
- Layered Class IV Direct Composite – step by step
- Class III exercises, closing black triangles using “Bioclear” Matrices
- Anterior direct veneers using “U-Veneer” templates
- Creating characterized direct composites, simulating craze lines and hypo calcifications
- Diastema Closure
- Bulk Fill (Monolythic) Posterior “Glass Hybrid” Restoration
- Closed Sandwich, Glass Ionomer/Composite Restoration
- Participants who attend this program will learn how to select and use modern systems of direct composites and glass ionomers to easily, predictably and profitably restore anterior and posterior teeth.
- Participants who attend this program will learn how bulk filling techniques are making a comeback and can now be used to rapidly place posterior direct restorations.
- Participants who attend this program will learn how to make and use diagnostic wax-ups and composite mockups to plan esthetic cases, verify the outcome before placement and to remove the improvisational technique elements in direct and indirect esthetic restorations.
About the Speaker
Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Dr. Mark Pitel is currently an Associate Clinical Professor of Operative Dentistry at the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and Director of Predoctoral and CDE Esthetics. He also maintains a private practice in Poughkeepsie, New York. A 3rd generation dentist, he has over 33 years experience owning and operating private general practices with an “emphasis on Cosmetic, Restorative and Implant Dentistry” in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and California and New York.
A past president of the New Jersey Academy of General Dentistry, Dr. Pitel is an active member of numerous other dental organizations such as the International Association for Dental Research, the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. He has received his fellowship from the American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry and the International Academy of Dentofacial Esthetics, holds Level II certification from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and has been recognized by Who's Who in Dentistry.
Dr. Pitel is an internationally recognized expert and lecturer on topics such as adhesive dentistry, anterior and posterior esthetic restorations and cosmetic and laser dentistry. He has authored numerous scientific papers and articles of interest to patients and is the author of a textbook on dental impression taking. A former editor of the NJ AGD Journal, he has received several awards for journalism in dentistry.
"Excellent presentation of chroma, hue and value relating to anterior aesthetics; excellent review of posterior glass ionomers."
-Dr. Nicole Mermet, NY
"Amazing presentation by Dr. Pitel! I learned valuable information to get the best esthetic results by using step by step technique."
-Ms. Lilit Stepanyan, Clifton, NJ
"The best direct composite course I have taken in years. Dr. Pitel has an amazing command of the subject."
-Dr. Tony Corello, Westfield, NJ
"Dr. Pitel and NJHPDI staff are amazingly courteous and helpful."
-Dr. Xiang Wang, Elmhurst, NY
"Great materials to stay up to date with restorative techniques and materials."
-Dr. Arnulfo Herrera, Uniondale, NY
"Dr. Pitel is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the course and contents"
-Dr. Gisela Lopez, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
"NJHPDI is excellent! I've taken many CE's here. Dr. Pitel is very knowledgeable in his field - great speaker!"
-Dr. Bertho Vertil, Pomona, NY