Treating the Apprehensive, Medically Compromised and Phobic Patient with Sedation/Anesthesia (CE Course for PCS Permit Renewal) with Dr. Marc Gottlieb (Zoom Online)
Presenter: Marc Gottlieb, DDS
Date Selection: February 28th,2021
Time: 5:30pm – 9:30pm (Zoom)
CE Credits: 8 credits (Pre-recorded) or 12 credits (Pre-recorded + Zoom)
AGD Code: 340
Subject: Anesthesia and Pain Management Lecture
*8 Hour Pre-Recorded to be completed prior to attending Zoom webinar
8 Hour Pre-recorded + 4 Hour Zoom Webinar (12 Credits): $595
8 Hour Pre-Recorded (8 Credits): $295
Review the material at your convenience, available for 30 days via our online platform
IMPORTANT- Attendees have two registration options for this course:
1. Participate in the 8 hour Pre-recorded Lecture + attend 4 hour Zoom webinar
2. Participate in the 8 hour Pre-recorded Lecture only
Once you register, you will have access within 24 hours to the 8 hour pre-recorded material (valid for 30 days). The 8 hour pre-recorded material must be viewed and completed prior to the 4 hour Zoom webinar.
This unique online course pulls it all together and satisfies the NYS mandated 12 hour CE requirement in enteral, parenteral and I.V. sedation. Certification requirements vary state by state. This course is approved by the NJ Board of Dentistry for 12 of your 20 required credits for renewal of your parenteral conscious sedation permit (PCS Permit).
This program is designed for the general practitioner as well as all specialists. Everyone from the first year dental student to the veteran about to retire will benefit from this course. Today many of our patients treat their own anxiety by self-medicating themselves or expect us to offer them a magic pill. There is no simple solution but this course will show you how to be proactive and avoid serious complications.
Over twenty five percent of the dental population do not visit a dentist on a regular basis out of fear. In order for the dentist to treat this unique population he or she must understand the unique challenges they present. Also, as patients get older and through the advances of modern medicine we encounter patients with a laundry list of medical problems. Once in a while we encounter that special patient who is medically compromised and unmanageable.
Treating the apprehensive man, woman, or child can be very rewarding. When managed properly they remain loyal for life and often refer their friends and family. Everything from tender loving care to general anesthesia will be covered. Other courses teach you how to medicate, communicate and delegate.
This program will demonstrate, through case studies, how utilizing TLC, Nitrous Oxide, Alcohol, Anxiolysis, Oral and I.V. Sedation, can help and manage the apprehensive patient. We will also role-play and simulate dental office emergencies. A significant amount of time will focus on airway management by the solo operator or as a team member working with an anesthesiologist.
- Understand how to effectively manage apprehensive children and adults
- Recognize the difference between Anxiolysis, Sedation, Deep Sedation & General Anesthesia
- Early recognition of airway problems and corrective techniques
- How to perform dentistry on a sedated patient with an open or compromised airway
- Be able to manage anesthesia related emergencies
- Determine which additional training is right for your practice
- Identifying the Apprehensive Man, Woman and Child.
- Review of NYS and ADA Sedation Guidelines and Permit Requirements.
- Treatment Planning the Apprehensive, Medically Compromised or Unmanageable Dental Patient.
Required Equipment and Additional Training:
- Pulse Oximetry, Capnography and Precordial Stethoscope.
- Mild Sedation.
- Moderate Sedation.
- Deep Sedation / General Anesthesia.
- ASA Classifications.
- Airway Anatomy.
- Physical Exam and Assessment.
Record Keeping Requirements based on Level of Sedation.
Medications Classification, Metabolism and Goals:
- Local Anesthesia and Local Anesthesia Complications.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation and Analgesia.
- Treating Children and Adults with Hypnosis.
- Oral Medications for Mild to Moderate Sedation .
- Mild to Deep Sedation /General Anesthesia via Nasal, IM and IV Medications.
- Treating Substance Use Disorder Patients.
- Management of Autistic Children and Adults.
Management of Complications and Emergencies:
- Treating Syncope, Hyperventilation, Diabetics, Asthmatics, Patients with Coronary Disease and Special Circumstances.
- Aspiration and Foreign Body Recovery.
- Allergic to Local Anesthesia and Other Medications
- What to Stock in Your Emergency Kit.
- Team Preparation and responsibilities.
Recovery / Rescue from Deeper Levels of Moderate Sedation to General Anesthesia. Didactic and Workshop:
- Reversal Agents: Narcan Training and Flumazenil administration.
- Simple Maneuvers and how to use a Mouth Mask Valve Device / Bag Valve Mask Device
- Airway Adjuncts to open the airway. Training in the use of Oral and Nasal Airways for the Adults and Children.
- Advanced Airway Exposure and Placement of the King Airway, Combitube, LMA, and Endotracheal Tube.
- Treatment of Larnygospasm
Post treatment management
- Recovery and Monitoring Prior to Discharge
- Pain Management of patients who received controlled medications during treatment.
About the Speaker
Marc Gottlieb, DDS
Dr. Marc M. Gottlieb was born and raised on Long Island, attended Union College in Schenectady New York and then shuffled off to Buffalo for dental school. While attending the University at Buffalo he received many academic scholarships, awards, and fellowships.
After graduation from dental school, Dr. Gottlieb went on a two-year post-graduate residency program at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. This unique opportunity provided advanced training and anesthesiology and all the specialties of dentistry.
Dr. Gottlieb is currently on staff at Stony Brook University Hospital and maintains a full-time private practice. During his 35-year Dental career, he was awarded 2 US patents, presented over 125 continuing education programs, and published over 20 Dental articles. For the past seven years he has been on honored by Dentistry Today's list of top CE providers.
"Very well done. Kept my interest for 12 hours."
- Dr. Emanuel Dominik, Edison, NJ
"Informative lecture, engaging lecturer."
- Dr. Rebekah Brevard, Mays Landing, NJ
"Very informative, great speaker keeps you engaged all day."
-Dr. Jenny Lorenzo, Rutherford, NJ
"The setting makes for an intimate meeting with interaction with the presenter. Dr. Gottlieb is extremely knowledgeable and interesting as a presenter"
-Dr. Evan Wetzler, Yorktown Heights, NY
"I have enjoyed this course previously. The new updated version has new pearls that can be implemented into practice. Dr. Gottlieb presents material in a practical way that can be used daily."
-Dr. Mathew Sorkin, Spotswood, NJ