Dental Shade Matching – Getting it Perfect First Time, Every Time with Dr. Mark Pitel (Hands-On)
If the selected course date is full (out of stock), please contact us to be added to our waitlist!
If you are registering for more than one person, please include the other registrants name in the “Additional information” field at checkout.
Presenter: Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Date Selection: October 29th, 2021
Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 7
AGD Code: 780, 250
Subject: Esthetics, Operative/Restorative Dentistry
*Boxed lunch included for in-person courses
This course will provide you with the necessary background information in color theory and shade matching as well as offer you an adjunctive workshop with an opportunity to use some of this knowledge and technology to refine your skills.
Patients today have much higher expectations when it comes to their dental work and expect it to look natural, closely match their other teeth.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of dentists receive little or no formal training in color theory or shade matching and still select shades by subjectively comparing a reference shade tab with the tooth or restoration being matched.
Ironically, the most popular shade guide contains only 16 possible shade tabs which are expected to accurately represent every nuance of shade and color found in the human dentition as well as every possible shade and opacity available in direct and indirect restorative products.
Additionally, ambient lighting conditions, the “temperature of the light”, room and cabinet colors, time of day, hydration level of the tooth and many other factors influence a successful shade match.
Some clinicians may also have unknown defects in their color vision or suffer side effects from medications that affect color vision and shade selection.
Fortunately, there are tools, techniques, and technology that you can use and knowledge you can acquire which can help you get a perfect shade match the first time, every time.
Some of the topics this course will cover are:
- How light interacts with restorative materials and why that is important to you.
- What are hue, value and chroma and how do we use them to get a perfect shade match?
- Why are fluorescence, opalescence and translucency so critical to shade matching?
- Color Context effects – what are they and how do they influence your selection of shade
- Could you possibly have some level of color blindness or other vision anomaly? Let’s find out.
- Who is the best in your practice to make shade selections? It might surprise you.
- What are the best manual shade guides and why?
- Step by step recommendations for optimally using manual shade guides.
- What are the ideal lighting conditions for shade matching?
- How can digital photography be critical to getting the best shade as well as chromatic characterizations?
- What technology exists to facilitate color and shade matching?
- How do we use technology to verify correct shades from our labs and to be able to make appropriate shade revisions when a restoration doesn’t match.
- These and many other topics will be covered.
Please note that this course requires working in pairs for the hands-on activities.
About the Speaker
Mark L. Pitel, DMD, FAGD, FACD, FADFE
Dr. Mark Pitel is currently an Associate Clinical Professor of Operative Dentistry at the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine and Director of Predoctoral and CDE Esthetics. He also maintains a private practice in Poughkeepsie, New York. A 3rd generation dentist, he has over 33 years experience owning and operating private general practices with an “emphasis on Cosmetic, Restorative and Implant Dentistry” in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and California and New York.
A past president of the New Jersey Academy of General Dentistry, Dr. Pitel is an active member of numerous other dental organizations such as the International Association for Dental Research, the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. He has received his fellowship from the American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry and the International Academy of Dentofacial Esthetics, holds Level II certification from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and has been recognized by Who's Who in Dentistry.
Dr. Pitel is an internationally recognized expert and lecturer on topics such as adhesive dentistry, anterior and posterior esthetic restorations and cosmetic and laser dentistry. He has authored numerous scientific papers and articles of interest to patients and is the author of a textbook on dental impression taking. A former editor of the NJ AGD Journal, he has received several awards for journalism in dentistry.
"The course surpassed my expectation. Dr. Pitel is very knowledgeable and open to any question."
-Dr. Lindsey Morgan, Hamilton, NJ
"Was a great class, Dr. Pitel was very knowledgable, staff was nice"
-Dr. Nick Kallis, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
"One of the best courses I've attended. Excellent lecture, excellent hands-on and excellent instructor!"
-Dr. Mark Rongone, Berwick, PA
October 29th, 2021
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.