Oral Surgery: Making it Faster, Easier, and More Predictable (Hands-On) with Dr. Karl Koerner
To register for this course, please select the date of the course in the dropdown above and add to cart. If you are registering for more than one person, please include the other registrants name in the “Additional information” field at checkout.
If the selected course date is full (out of stock), please contact us to be added to our waitlist!
Presenter: Karl R. Koerner, DDS, MS & Kenneth N. Feiler, DMD, FAGD, AAACD
Date Selection: May 14th, 2021, September 17th, 2021
Location: 1060 Main Street, Suite 201, River Edge, NJ 07661
CE Credits: 16
AGD Code: 310
Subject: Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Participation
Sponsored by: Hu-Friedy and Osteogenics
*Boxed lunch included for in-person courses
*limited class size
Are you looking...
- to start doing oral surgical procedures with more confidence?
- to review techniques you have not kept up with?
- to add more oral surgery procedures and techniques to what moderate level of oral surgery you already perform in your practice?
- for the tips and “secrets” that oral surgeons know that you would like to know as well?
- to learn about what instruments and equipment both old and new make oral surgery so much easier?
COME to a comprehensive course that builds over two days of continuous lecture and hands on education so that you will say “WOW!” afterwards and be amazed how much you learned and can now do with confidence!
The presentation will cover:
- The many “secrets” (techniques, knowledge and tips) of oral surgeons that make oral surgery easier, faster and predictable.
- Advanced instruments and procedures as taught in modern oral surgery residency
- Surgical "standards of care"
- Extraction expertise will be taken to the next level for socket preservations, multiple extractions with alveoplasty, frenectomies, exostosis removal and other minor dentoalveolar procedures.
- How to avoid or manage many common complications.
- Bleeding Management
- Managing infections
- Luxators: the world-wide standard of care
- Essentials for 3rd molar anatomy
- Bone Removal
- Bone Grafting
- Flap Resection
- Suturing techniques
- Medications and post op instructions
The following will be performed morning and afternoon both days during the Hands-On portion:
- Go over by hand all the oral surgical instruments, burs and handpieces and their special uses in oral surgery.
- Surgical extraction of a fractured-lower first molar (Includes root retrieval using algorithm)
- A socket bone graft procedure after sectioning and extracting a lower molar. (Bone graft and double barrier membrane.)
- Multiple extractions (4) including "surgical" root removal.
- Alveoplasty of the ridge followed by continuous-lock suturing
- Surgical extraction of an upper first molar with a fractured root and sinus perforation using upper molar sectioning technique
- Techniques that prevent a root from going into the maxillary sinus (embedded within the model) and treating the perforation and socket
- Use of a Headstrom file with floss for additional control of a root tip near the sinus
- Use of grafting materials to treat sinus perforation
- Surgical extraction of an upper third molar vertical impaction.
- Surgical removal of a partial bony mesioangular, lower third molar impaction using a triangular flap and appropriate sectioning technique
- Perform an excisional biopsy
- Perform an "incision and drainage” on infected purulent area
- Perform labial and buccal frenectomies
- Various flap procedures
After performing all these techniques on life like dentoform models, these techniques will then again be done on pig jaws in the afternoon of the second day for a more life-like experience, reinforcing and bringing your abilities to a level where you are ready to perform oral surgical procedures in your practice with a more confidence and greater proficiency.
Many of our attendees have taken this course more than once to keep up with updates or to review the comprehensive amount of information contained in this program.
Each participant will be provided their own full compliment of surgical instruments (specifically chosen by Dr. Koerner), life like dentoform model, pig jaw, and motor to utilize during the hands-on portion. Attendees will also take home a comprehensive, detailed, full color handout to serve as a reference.
About the Speaker:
Karl R. Koerner, DDS, MS
Dr. Koerner has presented hundreds of didactic and participation oral surgery courses at all the major U.S. meetings, at the state level, and internationally. His hands-on courses use life-like models on which participants do several different surgeries. He is currently Clinical Director of Oral Surgery at Intermountain Dental Associates in Utah. Dr. Koerner graduated from the University of Washington School of Dentistry, completed a general practice residency in the U.S. Army, and a Masters Degree in Education. Though not an oral surgeon, he has practiced oral surgery only for the last 16 years.
Dr. Koerner is the author of many articles on various aspects of oral surgery for the general dentist and has authored and co-authored several books. He has been featured in DVDs for the profession including three made with Dr. Gordon Christensen on difficult extractions, third molar surgery, and medical emergencies. He is past president of the Utah Dental Association and the Utah Academy of General Dentistry.
He has organized and conducted many humanitarian trips to China (patient treatment and teaching other dentists) since 2006 and speaks fluent Chinese. At the 2010 National AGD Meeting he received the Thaddeus V. Weclew Award for his contributions to General Dentistry and continuing education.
"The course is very nicely paced besides being terrifically informative. Dr. Koerner is a wonderful presenter. He is so calm and he really makes you feel like you can do everything he is talking about in the lecture.”"
– Dr. Jasmeet Kaur, Stamford, CT
"Great course! Very informative. Dr. Koerner has a way of making complex procedures sound easy"
– Dr. Zackery Spitzer, Wayne, NJ
"Excellent. Dr. Koerner a must attend seminar for the general dentist - several pearls throughout the lecture"
– Dr. Mark Thogode, Branchville, NJ
"Course was fabulous. Dr. Koerner has a wonderful way of teaching his demeanor is perfect for a teacher."
– Dr. Elliott Rogoff, Millburn, NJ
"He provided so much information. I appreciate seeing the difficult situations shown. I liked using the variety of bone grafting materials and instruments"
– Dr. Paul Gauthier, Charlton, NY
"I learned more in the first 90 minutes than I did in all my full day courses"
– Dr. Frank Vigliotti, Poughkeepsie, NY
"Excellent, outstanding course - very knowledgeable speaker. Would recommend this course hands down to anyone looking to improve your surgical skills"
– Dr. Abhishek Kapoor, Walpole, MA
May 14th & 15th, 2021, September 17th & 18th, 2021
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.